Saturday, February 22, 2014

A New Species Today in My Patch: Why Ever Leave?

The number of birds seen in my "patch" ticked upwards this morning. I was driving around the east side of the neighborhood looking for some alleged northern flickers (which I still haven't found) when I saw a small raptor high in a eucalyptus snag. This was on North Dodge next to Catalina High School. I assumed it was one of the local American kestrels but I figured I should check anyway. Instead of a kestrel, it was a merlin.

Merlin in the "hood"

























Merlins are a kind of falcon, like kestrels, but a little bit bigger and less colorfully marked. They are grayish to brownish, heavily streaked on the underside and have only a slight vertical facial marking of the sort most falcons have. Merlins are seen around Tucson September through April, leaving to breed farther north. But even in the cool months they are rare.

That makes 31 species in the neighborhood since January 1. As I have noted, I keep track of bird sightings at eBird (www.ebird.org). EBird allows you to define one or more of your birding locations as your official "patch." I have defined my patch as consisting of both my neighborhood and my yard, which of course is in my neighborhood. I recommending using eBird to keep track of your sightings, whether you go birding a lot or just keep track of birds in your back yard.

I also continue to be amazed this morning about the number of well-wishers I meet. While I was photographing the merlin at the side of the road I heard a car pull up next to me. I tend to expect some level of hostility, or at least skepticism, from people that see me on a residential street with binoculars and a camera. But instead I heard the common birder phrase: "What da ya' got?" I said I had a merlin. He said, "Yeah, it looks a little bigger than a kestrel."

It turned out to be Greg, who works for WINGS Birding Tours (www.wingsbirds.com). We knew many people in common and spoke for quite a while until standing in the middle of the road became problematic. I gave him my card and I'm sure we'll meet again.

Later I drove over into the next neighborhood to the east, The Garden District. They have asked me to speak to the neighborhood association on March 18 and do a bird walk on April 5. I wanted to see what birds I could find over there. Stopping by the side of the street I pointed the camera up at a Eurasian collared-dove on a wire. A voice from a neighboring yard said, "Can I help you?" There was an initial level of suspicion!

I introduced myself and it turned out she was Melanie, a consultant trained in ecology. She had heard of me! She was also very interested in raising awareness of birds and ecology in the urban area and wanted to help by looking for useful project and grants. We had many common acquaintances. Two great connections made in one morning, only because I was out pointing the camera and binoculars at things. That's a good sign.

3 comments:

  1. I have only ever seen one other merlin in Tucson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice spot Kendall, and a great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen them at Reid Park, but they are few and far between. Lucked out that one was in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete