Wednesday, June 11, 2014

At My "Whits" End

I haven't been able to meet the challenge of writing at least one blog post per week, so I am a few weeks behind in the news. Around the beginning of May I started to hear brown-crested flycatchers in my Tucson neighborhood (Palo Verde neighborhood). You typically hear their "whit" calls plus other "gurgles" (as I, idiosyncratically, call them).

Brown-crested flycatcher in the Palo Verde Neighborhood, Tucson, AZ
I set out one morning with a camera and the dogs in tow to see if I could get a photo. This is the best I could do--it's as much a photo of mesquite as it is flycatcher. I'll keep trying, but at least you can see the darker, brownish crest, the gray throat and breast, the yellow belly and the warm, orangish-brown color in the wings. Here is more information about brown-crested flycatchers.

What's in your neighborhood? Just go out and look!

No comments:

Post a Comment